Monday, February 2, 2009

Ring, Ring, Hello, Hi Robbie, Now who are you?


Death has a funny way of screwing with your ying and yang and all the stuff surrounding. I am sitting here,,well not just now, but for most of the day where ever I happen to be thinking "wtf". My Dad died yesterday. For most of us this is a very sobering occasion, not something we are ever really quite prepared to digest. For me and my siblings it has been many years of what ever happened to him after the divorce. Is he alive or dead and where?
Soon after the family crashed and burned and Mom and Dad went on their separate journeys my father went on with his life. It was good that he moved on,,the not so good option was that he and his new wife decided we were bad or disposable children and we were dismissed from their life's. To say it has spun up the heads of his sperm donation to my mother is an understatement to the heirs of his deposit. The word dysfunctional in my family is classic Olympic gold stuff.
I being a 15 year old something handled it better then the younger 3 kids. My sister two years younger did a fair job of trying to maintain a relationship with him. Ultimately it was a waste of time and more scars were added to our individual Psyche. My younger sister and brother both just never had a clue of how whacked we were and were never explained that they did nothing wrong. It just wasn't my Dad,,but it was his whole clan. None of them agreed on how to spell our family name. It came in many variations and being young I never got just how that was just okay.
Anyway, I was sitting at my desk today,,playing the everything person because of the slow down in the economy. The phone rings and I have this belief that treat folks how you want to be treated that comes from the you reap what you sow school of thought. I answer, Thank you for calling xxxxxxxx can I help you? The male voice on the other end replies, Hello Jenna as if they knew me. I said, Yes this is Jenna can I help you and the reply "Hi its Robbie" I reply hi Robbie how are you in this upbeat voice and he says, Just fine and you? I tell him I'm wonderful and you are Robbie who with whom? His answer is clear with his last name this time and about that time my jaw hits my chest. It is my cousin last seen when he was about 6 years old. Like me his voice has changed,,lol. But no doubt this is no whats knew with you conversation. I ask him why he is calling just in case it is business. More wishful thinking.
He informs me my father died yesterday and he wanted us to know. It seems he was close to my dad. Something that most of us never seemed to achieve. He continues to spell it out for me and I'm not sure how to respond. It seems my dads wife was never going to let us know and Robbie wasn't okay with that. I finally ask him how he found me after the switheroo and all on my part and soon learn he has always known where I was and that had full knowledge of my transition. He wasn't sure how to approach me but was totally accepting. We seem to have a common friend that never let on that he was nearby until today and the need to break the ice so to speak.
So I'm going to met this 6 year old minds eye adult for dinner in a few days and do some of that stuff that families do,,, Bond and be family. I cant wait. A door closes completing closure and another opens,,,,,,imagine that. So tonight I sit here contemplative not sure of all the raw feelings and emotions vacillating through me and say good bye to my father,,,,

4 comments:

alan said...

Forgive my missing this entry and my belated condolences!

Though all these other things have been plaguing you for years, perhaps, after all, something wonderful will come out of it!

My Dad, gone 25 years now, would have turned 82 this Friday and no matter where I turn his memories are everywhere, both the good and the bad. I've tried many times to stuff those latter ones away in a dark corner somewhere but they never stay, always rising at the least opportune moment.

I am so very glad you survived your childhood and all that has transpired since!

Once again, forgive my lateness in catching up with you...please?

alan

Jenna said...

Alan,
As the story evolves the more I wish I was left in the crypt of ignorance and bliss. The whole affair has stirred a pot of human waste,,better left to a bacterial pool of shit. At least before I was use to wondering and time removed the episodes of even that. My paternal side and their off spring remind how lucky I am to be removed and forgotten. Is it really just good bye or good ridence,,,or does it really matter. Maybe there is a place for justifiable anger,,,then again the toilet maybe capable of flushing the entire mess neatly away,,,

alan said...

Jenna, I'm so very sorry...I had hoped somehow that something better would come of this!

I have cut off branches of my own family tree through the years; one that found an Aunt defending her oldest for wife-beating...his siblings cutting me off for thinking it wrong.

I have found far better family here in this magical world than I was born into...

I'm not sure there is a commode or septic system large enough to deal with the darkness of what some people are capable of doing to others!

There is an old Irving Berlin song called "Count My Blessings" I've come to hold dear through the years. It was in "White Christmas".

When I do, which is often, I'm happy to count you among them!

Thank you for your kind words, your warm heart and your beautiful soul!

As I said above, I'm glad they survived to brighten my life!

alan

Jenna said...

Alan,,
Your a very interesting man,,thanx for sharing